Heard about this here…
And then looked into it more myself and found the site for it here: http://thebooksofthebible.info
And THEN, I found a PDF of the Preface that is to be included in the front of these new Bibles here: http://thebooksofthebible.info/pdf/TBoTB_Preface.pdf (the Preface begins on page 4)
Here’s a few VERY intriguing tidbits on this new “project”:
…for some time now the Bible has been printed in a format that hides its literary forms under a mask of numbers that break the text into bits and sections that the authors did not intend. And so The Books of The Bible seeks instead to present each of the books of the Bible in their distinctive literary forms and structures. It draws on the fundamental insight that visual presentation can be a crucial aid to right reading, good understanding and a better engagement with the Bible.
Specifically, this edition of the Bible differs from the most common current format in several significant ways:
• chapter and verse numbers have been removed from the text;
• the books are presented according to the internal divisions that we believe their authors have indicated;
• a single-column setting is used to present the text more clearly and naturally, and to avoid disrupting the intended line breaks in poetic sections;
• footnotes, section headings and other supplementary materials have been removed from the pages of the sacred text;
• individual books that later tradition divided into two or more books are made whole again; and
• the books have been placed in an order that we hope will help readers understand them better.
Check out the PDF linked above for further explanation of the points above. It’s worth a look, and it’s only a few pages, I promise!
After you read it, leave some thoughts or comments… Personally, I think this is a GREAT idea, and is signaling a much needed shift away from viewing the Bible as a textbook and back to a more Narrative/Story-based viewing of scripture. But I’d love to hear other people’s thoughts?
What do you think? Are there any problems/dangers with this? Any benefits?